Your election information hub

About this year’s election

Under the Local Government Act 1995 (Act), Ordinary local government elections are held every two years on the third Saturday in October. Council members are elected for a term of up to four years.

The next Ordinary election in Kalgoorlie-Boulder will be held on 21 October 2023.

All current elected member positions will become vacant, with the following positions open for election:

  • 1 Mayor - elected for a 4-year term
  • 8 Councillors - elected for 4 or 2-year terms (in order of total votes received)

The election process

The City has appointed the Western Australian Electoral Commission (WAEC) to run the election and the Commission appoints a Returning Officer . The Returning Officer oversees the election, which includes taking candidate nominations and supervising the count on election night.

Postal Election

The election is a postal election, meaning that there will be no in-person voting.

Electors of the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder (those on the electoral roll) will receive an election package by mailed post approximately three weeks before election day. This will contain one ballot paper to vote for the Mayor and Councillors, candidate profiles, a declaration envelope, and pre-paid return envelope.

The completed ballot must be returned to the City by 6pm on Election Day.

The count starts at 6pm that same day, and the results are normally available in the evening.

Voting in the election

Voting in Local Government Elections is not compulsory; however, residents are encouraged to vote and have a say on who they want representing them in Council.

The City uses two electoral rolls – a Residents Roll and a Non-Residents Owners and Occupiers Roll. These two rolls produce the Consolidated Electoral Roll.

Residents Roll

Residents who live in the City and are enrolled to vote in the State or Federal elections for where they live are automatically enrolled to vote (and appear on the Western Australian Electoral Commission’s Residents Roll). No separate enrolment is necessary.

To enquire about the Residents Roll contact the Western Australian Electoral Commission on 13 63 06 or check your enrolment eligibility status on the Western Australian Electoral Commission website.

Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers Roll

This refers to owners or occupiers of rateable land in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder who live outside of the City. Eligible applications may be entitled to nominate two people to vote on their behalf (and will appear on the City’s Non-Resident Owners and Occupier Roll).

Business Property Owners or Occupiers can also apply to be part of this roll.

More information

More information and details will be available on this page in the lead-up to the election. Please continue to visit this page or follow us on our social media channels to stay-up-to-date.

News Feed